Sep 9, 2013

Coffee talk and pop tarts

We had a little coffee talk breakfast this past weekend. It had been a long time since we had a coffee talk, and it was nice to get the mason moms (the planning committee of the family), along with their moms and daughters together. Coffee talk was a potluck, so I decided to try my hand at homemade toaster pastries (pop tarts). I had gotten a toaster pastry mold in the prize pack I won for my mojito cupcakes, and I just needed the perfect excuse to use it.

The pop tarts were surprisingly easy to make. The dough is a basic pie crust. I let it rest in the fridge before rolling it out.

Then I used my mold to cut them out. I then filled them and sealed them with the toaster pastry press. I used two different kinds of preserves to fill them, half were guava and half were strawberry.

I poked some holes in the tops to try to prevent them from bursting, crossed my fingers and put them in the oven. They took about 25 minutes to bake and came out pretty and golden brown. The tops puffed up a bit, but it didn't seem to affect the tarts. And only two of them leaked some jelly out of the side (I'm thinking because I didn't seal them enough), but they still had jelly on the inside.

I let them cool and then frosted them with a simple glaze made of powdered sugar and milk. I decorated them with sprinkles, just like real pop tarts. The red sprinkles were for the guava tarts and the strawberry were green and red sprinkles (just like the store-bought ones).

The toaster pastries were a hit, even Abuela liked them. They tasted like the pop tarts from the box, only better. And they were so easy to make I will have to try them again.

Coffee talk is always such a great time. It was nice to get together with the Mason Moms and catch up on life and, as always, hear great stories from the viejas.
Matiti, Abuela & Tia Elisa

Did you love Pop Tarts as a kid? Have you had any little family get togethers lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment