Sep 15, 2011

Crafting up a Carnival... and other things too

As I mentioned before, along with my group, Handmade Miami, we're putting on the Craft Carnival this November. It's totally a labor of love. We got our postcards this week! Don't they look great? We gave the graphic designer a bunch of images and had him pick the ones that would work best. I was happy to see he picked some of mine.
But along with running Handmade Miami and our monthly Crafter-noons (not to mention our business workshop this weekend), actually working full-time and the Carnival, I feel like I've been neglecting poor designed by Diana! It was time to give my business some love.

So, last weekend I got back into the sewing for dbD. I figured I should finish making my things to sell at the Carnival early, since I'll have a LOT of last minute things to coordinate. And I'd love to make some goodies from designed by Diana to giveaway in the swag bags too.

This week, I've managed to made about 20 pouches! I was totally ready to sew up the 10 others I had already cut out, but as luck would have it, I had no more labels to sew into them. I went over to my printer to print them out and keep going, but, of course, I had no ink in my printer. And if you are anything like me, I drag my feet to get ink. It's so expensive (if anyone has tips on where to find cheaper HP ink, let me know). But I've been on a roll this week, so I figured I might as well get the ink on my lunch break. At least I only need color, so I only have to buy one cartridge.

Since I didn't want to lose my crafting momentum last night I got started making the swag bag items that Handmade Miami will be giving away at the Craft Carnival. It was all going great. I was using my rotary cutter and cutting them out while sitting on my bed and watching TV. Everything was going great, but then I grabbed my rotary cutter from my lap, and cut my leg. Now I've cut my fingers before with the rotary cutter, but never my leg! Note to self (and to all of you too!): close the rotary blade unless you are using it! The cutter had a new blade in it, but I didn't think of anything since it didn't hurt. Then when I got up and saw the blood on my leg, I thought it might be band-aid time.

So the band-aid is covering my craft-related injury and I'm ready to get back to work. I'm also gonna whip up some Halloween costumes for my nephew and niece this weekend, so I can send it to them before October. Those are gonna be adorable, so I'll be sure to post pics.

Wish me luck in my ink search and safe crafting tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment