Nov 19, 2015

Wine & Dine 2015: Expo and Kids Races

It was a very strange race weekend, but let's start at the beginning.

I drove up to Orlando on Friday, scooped up Kris from her office and we headed to the expo. I think this was the earliest we'd ever been to the expo (at about 3pm), and it wasn't crowded, so we were able to shop and chat with people without being rushed.

We did some serious expo damage... we grabbed our "I Did It!" shirts, headbands, compression sleeves, and I got me a sparkle skirt. I also picked up my turkey shirt from Raw Threads, so I'm ready for my Turkey Day 10k. I love the expo. I think it's one of the funnest parts of a race weekend. And we also met Jeff Galloway! You may know him as the run/walk guy.

We grabbed some dinner and then headed back to Kris's house to hang with the family and get our morning runners, the kids, ready for their races.

The next morning we got ready for a hot day, very hot for Florida in November, but our little runners were amped to go. V asked me to run with her, so I was ready to get that mile under my belt. X was gonna run with Eddie. We got running Princess Sophia (with her Aunt Diana crafted skirt) and running Batman ready and headed out. We got there a bit early, so we headed into the expo. The kiddos grabbed some snacks, and we walked to the field to wait for the Kids Mile to start. Last time we did a RunDisney race with the kids, they said the sprints were too short for them, they are used to doing 5ks after all. So this time they were in the Kids Mile. They were even timed, so cool.

We waited around in the heat (and boy it was HOT) for the mile to start at 10:45am. It was really humid and the blaring sun was not helping. The kids were antsy to get started, and then we finally did. 

V grabbed my hand and started off, but I told her to let go and run fast, so she did. She was awesome. She took some walk breaks, and when we got to the 1/4 mile mark, she asked me when we were done. I told her we gotta keep going, there's water, granola bars, and bananas at the end. This totally amped her up and we kept going. This part of the course was also a little shady, so that might have helped too. We finally got to the track, the last part of the course, and we saw Santa Goofy at the end! We passed Grandpa and Kris (V asked me how they got to the end so fast, LOL) then before we knew it, we crossed the finish line!

V got her medal, and we saw X, who chose to run with his dad, Ed. They were so hot, but the race was done!

After the race, we grabbed some lunch, and Kris and I headed to the hotel for our pre-race rest and nap. We were beat. Between being up early and the sun at the races, we were just done. I grabbed a shower since I was gross from running that mile, I KT taped us up and the nap was on. We had read about what happened at the Rock n' Roll Savannah race earlier that day due to the heat, and were a little concerned, but being Floridians, I thought the heat wouldn't affect us too bad. I made a mental note to drink more water (and even some Powerade) on the course to make sure I didn't dehydrate.

Soon enough the alarms went off and we started getting suited up for the race. Our hair was braided, and Anna and Elsa were ready. We walked out to the buses with Eddie, who met us up and would be waiting for us to finish to join us at the after party. 

Now our goal for this race was simple, be fast enough to have time to wait for a picture with Capt. Jack Sparrow and still avoid the balloon ladies, then try to make it into the after party and see more characters. Oh and eat and drink!

We went to bag check where I dropped off my stuff, a dry shirt, my ShowerPill (*I'm a ShowerPill Ambassador), and some walking sneakers. Then, we headed closer to the runner area before heading into the runner area. We also met up with a friend of mine from work (also named Diana) and she waited with us. 

Soon enough we said bye to Eddie and headed to the port-a-potty lines in the runner only area. As we waited, and scoped people's costumes--which is one of my fave parts of a Disney race, a guy came by with a megaphone. He was saying that there was lightning in the area and they were gonna get everyone indoors. Now, we were almost at the front of the line for the port-a-pottys, so we waited to go. 

After we used the facilities, we headed to the Wide World of Sports. Now, I noticed that it got slightly cooler and a little breeze came through, so I thought rain was coming, but that never did. First we sat outside. Then we were told we had to go indoors, so we headed inside the HP Field House.

When we got inside, it looked like a hurricane evacuation site, only with better costumes. Everyone was super bummed since it was almost 10 and the first corrals should be starting at that time. They kept announcing on the speakers that as soon as they had clearance we would start. But we waited, and waited... And I still didn't hear or see any lightning (I came to find out later that there was some in the area.). I had run this race, the infamous "Splash and Dash" Wine & Dine Half, the year before, where I ran for 13.1 miles in the cold, cold rain. So a little humidity was NBD for me. But I know people were freaked out after there had been a death in Savannah earlier that day, and the lightning that was in our area too.

At about 10:30ish we finally got the all clear, and now 15,000 runners plus spectators had to get out of these buildings and back to the staging area and corrals. As we trudged out of the Wide World of Sports to the fields where the corrals were, we heard that the course had been cut. That we'd only get to run a 10k. A 10k?! I trained for 13.1 miles, I ran 11 miles by myself on purpose. Kris and I looked at each other and we were pissed, not gonna lie. I never, ever thought I'd be mad NOT to run 13.1 miles.

And... the rest of the story tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment