Mar 6, 2017

Rock n' Roll New Orleans:The weekend

Now that the running was done, it was time to explore New Orleans and all that food!

After the race, we headed to one of Kris and I's favorite spots from last time we went to New Orleans, The Cameila Grill. It was time for ridiculous omelettes and coffee. Which so hit the spot after 13.1 miles.

We walked around for a bit, and then, hungry again, we got some more coffee and beignets. So good. This little place had a cute little courtyard to sit in and we did and enjoyed the breeze and the coffee. And those beignets!

We went back to the hotel, cause running makes you tired, and started watching the Super Bowl. It was Super Bowl Sunday after all. Before halftime we headed to the hotel bar to get our complimentary drinks and watch Lady Gaga. Cause that's really what the whole show was all about anyways, right?

After Gaga, we headed out to grab a slice on Bourbon Street and walked around. We hit up the voodoo shop, and wandered through a bunch of art galleries. It's so cool how you can find so many things wandering up and down the streets.

The next morning we were able to sleep in and be lazy for a bit. We looked up a new place for brunch and it was around the corner, so we walked on over to the Fleur de Lis Cafe. This place was packed. We put our name on the list, and checked out a little boutique down the block. Which had the most adorable vintage-y stuff. I could have lived in that store.

We got called back to the restaurant, and were seated. Kris and I got strawberry mimosas. They were ridiculously good. Ed got an Irish coffee that was very heavy on the Irish. Breakfast was just delicious. The grits were outta hand, the biscuit was flaky, and mouth-watering pancakes. Yeah, my goal on vacation is just to eat.

We went back to the boutique and tried on all of the dresses. I wanted to take so many home, but got myself a cute hat and some new sunnies.

Next, we were off to Jackson Square to check out the cathedral, the river, and the French Market.

We saw all of the artists in front of the church and walked around to look at the park, the river, and then we made a stop at Cafe Du Monde for coffee and beignets. I mean you have to make a stop right?! Plus at this time it's a little less crowded than it is for breakfast.

We walked off our beingets walking around the streets of the French Quarter just checking out all of the houses. It's just so pretty around there. Everything is so pretty, I love it.

And most of the places were all decked out for Mardi Gras. I loved all the decorations.

We decided we needed to take a street car ride, so that's what we did. We rode the St. Charles line all the way til they kicked us out, then rode it back.

It was nice seeing all of the area that we had run the day before on a street car and not on foot. Man, we ran a long way.

We came back and changed for our night out. We headed to dinner at The Gumbo Shop. It was delicious. We stuffed our little faces with all sorts of New Orleans deliciousness. I had shrimp creole, jambalaya, and crawfish etoufee. It was so delicious. And did I mention bread pudding with whiskey sauce for dessert? Just too good.

After dinner, we headed to Preservation Hall. I had heard about this place on the Foo Fighters series on HBO. I knew Dave Grohl has been there, so I figured we should check it out. And we had to see some live jazz while we were in New Orleans. It was such a cool old building, that seriously looked like it was (well actually was) falling apart. Very New Orleans.

Our last day, we planned to check out the cemeteries and then grab some lunch before calling for the Uber back to the airport. We got up and headed towards the cemetery, only to get caught in a huge thunderstorm. We didn't think much of that or the tornado warnings, cause #florida. The rain let up a bit and we were going to cross the street to go to the cemetery, but some people were leaving telling us it was closed. Boo. That really sucked.

We headed towards Jackson Square to get Kris her mufaletta before we left. We also grabbed some cans of wine, cause you can drink in the street, and we needed to do that.

As we walked back towards the hotel, the rain started again. It was bad. We snuck into a coffee shop for a second, and were finally able to walk back to the hotel. Ed and I got po'boys and we ate as we waited for our uber driver. (Total fail, this was the only food I didn't take a pic of!)

And that was our whirlwind trip to New Orleans, to run, eat, and see the sights. I did have another run to my connecting flight home, but it wasn't nearly as tight as it was on the way there.

Another race in another state is in the books. It was a super fun racecation!

No comments:

Post a Comment