Aug 14, 2017

I'm training for a marathon! (21 weeks out)

Yes, yes, I'm training for a marathon. WHAT?!? I know I think I'm still in a little shock myself.

Kris and I had joked last year about doing the Walt Disney World full marathon in 2018. It would be the 25th anniversary, and it is the Mickey medal. It was a fleeting conversation, and we went onto normal half marathon life. Then, when signup approached, we talked about it again... And we decided to do it. We signed up and hoped for the best.


So here we are, training officially started when I got back from Chicago. I'm following the Jeff Galloway training plan from runDisney.com. But I had been getting in about 5-6 miles on off weekends anyways. So I feel like last week, with my 7 mile long run, I'm officially in it.

Now, I have two goals for this marathon: not to die and to get a picture with a character along the course.

But to get to that first goal, of not dying, I need to train. And here I am, to share the nitty gritty.

Truth be told, I'm always running in heat in Florida, but usually, I'm a little lighter in the miles in the summer. This year with Chicago in July and then marathon training I haven't had a choice. It's been hella hot this summer, and super humid, and I've had no choice but to pound the pavement and get in those miles.

This is how the week went down, I started with Shaun Week again on Beachbody On Demand. I really like the crazy and short workouts, and I feel like they help me get stronger and faster.

Monday - Shaun Week: Insane Basics
I totally love Shaun T and wanted to give his new program Shaun Week another try. I mean it's only a week, so it's doable right? OMG this workout is killer. But somehow he keeps me going. Somehow in the 3 weeks since I last did Shaun Week I forgot some of the moves he included. How is that possible?

Tuesday - 30 minute run; Shaun Week: Pure Cardio 2
And early wakeup to get in my 30 minute run and my Shaun Week workout. Got in my run and came home to start Pure Cardio 2 right away. This one is tough, but I got it done. Kinda shocked I was able to get it in after my run considering the moon was out when I started and the sun rose as I finished. This weekday run was a little easier than the last few weeks had been.

Wednesday - REST
I never schedule my rest days, cause I know life happens and they'll just happen when I can't get to a workout. That's what happened right here.

Thursday - Shaun Week: Insane Weights and 25 Abs
Insane Weights from Shaun Week is just what the name says it is. Insanity moves with weights. It's a challenge, but I got it done early. Then after work I was able to get in my 25 Abs workout too. Runners need a strong core right? My abs were burning.

Friday - Shaun Week: Ripsanity
This is my LEAST favorite Shaun T workout ever. The combos with the moves and weights are all so complicated. But I kept up, and used a good weight for myself and got it done. Yes, this left my chest and arms sore. Guess it's working.

Saturday - Orangetheory Fitness
I love going to my Orangetheory classes. It was an ESP workout (edurance, strength, and power), which is my fave. But there was a 23 minute running block. It was crazy long, and had pushes and inclines. I did it though, and then killer my floor work too. This one was hard, but I love it.

Sunday - 5 miles & Shaun Week : Dig Deep
Long run day. There were only 4 miles on my plan today, but my 5 mile loop around the house is just an easier route, cause it's a full circle. I felt good out there. My legs felt great, and I knew I had that little pep in my step to give me some speed. The last mile was kinda hard, cause of the humidity, but I pushed through, knowing I was so close to home. But... negative splits!

And in the afternoon, I knocked out Dig Deep. This one is short, but brutal. Since it was a shorter run, figured I could fit in these 25 minutes.

And there is my marathon training recap for this week. Only 21 weeks til go time.

No comments:

Post a Comment