Aug 21, 2017

Marathon training (20 weeks out)

Another week, and more training. It was a big mile week, and this weekend called for 9. But before I got there, here's what the rest of the week had in store.


Monday - 3 Week Yoga Retreat: Flow on the Go

I'm following the Shaun Week month calendar that Shaun T posted on his website. This yoga flow was the perfect workout to stretch out my tired legs. Must get in more yoga.

Tuesday - REST
I has a bad night of sleep, but had every intention of working out after work. I was too tired when the time came, so rest day is what happened instead.

Wednesday - Orangetheory workout

I got up early to get to my 6am Orangetheory class. I feel like it always takes forever to get my heart rate up, but once it's there, I'm good.

Thursday - Leg workout

I didn't get in a morning workout, so I was able to get in a lunch workout with my fitsquad. It was just me and Ani, but we killed leg day.

Friday - 30 minute run

I need to get in a weekday run, and since my long run is on Sunday, Friday was my last chance this week. And I got in a speedy 30 minutes. I was really happy with this run.

Saturday - Orangetheory workout

A killer Saturday morning OTF class. Power day was no joke. My points were insane!

Sunday - 9 miles

And long run time. I got up with my normal 5am Sunday alarm and started to get dressed, when I heard thunder. I checked my weather app, and thunderstorms would be happening for about 2 hours. This was a total no go for a run. Rain is one thing, thunder and rain is another.


Since I needed to get in the miles, I'd have to run in the evening. I figured 6pm would be a good start, as it should be late enough not to have me running in the dark and not in full sun either. The feels like temps were over 100 at about noon, so I'd just have to wait out the day. I got out there at about 5:45pm. The sun was out and there wasn't really much cloud cover. It was humid and the sun was HOT, but I got started.

red faced & HOT
With the heat, I kept close to home and weaved in and out of a bunch of streets. My neighborhood always has a ginormous amount of gnats, and I may have eaten some. I could feel the heat getting bad around mile 3. I stopped at a 7-11 and McDonald's to refill my water bottle. I also did more walking than usual. I was very aware of the heat and keeping hydrated. I was thinking of cutting it by mile 5, but I kept going. It was so close to the end, I wanted to see how far I could go. I noticed what was killing me was the sun, so I tried to go down streets with a lot of tree cover and shade.. Thankfully, by the last mile, the sun was behind some clouds, so I was able to finish.


Another week in the books. Next week is a 4-5 miler, so it will be a nice break. Here's to hoping for no more early thunderstorms.

No comments:

Post a Comment