Nov 15, 2017

7 tips for a solo run

Running alone is not scary or crazy to do. As long as you keep a few things in mind, you can totally get out there and run solo.

I've been training alone for years. Thankfully, I've only had a couple of issues, and none of them severe. But here are a few tips to stay safe while getting in your run. Cause, it shouldn't scare you to get out there.


1. Run in a familiar area.
It's best to know where you are and all the little quirks of the area. I feel more confident knowing where I'm going and not having to wonder where the next turn will be. This doesn't mean you can't mix it up a bit, but I prefer to get out there knowing beforehand where I am and will be. Running in a completely new area is best saved for when you have a buddy with you.

2. Tell your person where you will be.
I'm not saying post it on FB, but I always let mom know where I'll be running, especially on super long runs. She's been able to bring me water when needed, and if I need help, she'll be able to come get me. So tell your parents, your spouse, your bestie that lives down the block. Let someone know where you'll be. And approximately when to expect you back.


3. Be aware of your surroundings.
Don't just be in la la land while you're out there. Notice what is going on. The cars around you, the other pedestrians, bicyclists, even debris on the road. This will keep you safe, and also keep you from tripping on something and messing up your knee.

4. Bring your phone.
I won't ever leave home without it. Plus it's my GPS, interval timer, and music. And if you run into any issues, you can call someone or even 911 if needed. Just make sure you have a full charge when you get out there for your run.


5. Wear all the brights.
I always say I look like I'm crazy on my runs. I wear all of the brights, sequins and reflectors. Anything that makes me visible. Remember, make yourself easy to see, cause cars aren't usually looking for people on their feet out there. I leave my black shirts at home on my runs. Those are only for the gym, OTF, or a race.

6. Ignore the honks/comments/leering looks.
You may want to go over and tell the creepy old guy looking you up and down that he is nasty and you could be his granddaughter (which I have done), but it's usually not worth it. Catcallers, creepers, and people honking at you won't care, and are looking for you to get pissed and get a response. Just ignore it, or my preferred action give the finger as you keep running by.


7. Trust your gut. 
Sometimes your intuition is telling you something. Listen to your instincts.

Hope these tips will help you get out there for a solo run one of these days. Sometimes just being there with your thoughts is good for your soul as well as your body.

No comments:

Post a Comment