Dec 23, 2008

I is for Inspiraton (for gifts)

There has been so much stuff going on I haven't had the chance to update. But I did find some gift inspiration for the people at work.

After being off the week after Thanksgiving I was able to watch all the crafty shows and get some inspiraton for some gifts for my co-workers. But my department is about 20 people, what's a crafty girl to do? How about making some cute, easy and yummy gifts.

So I made the 20 people in my deparment Hot Chocolate Cones! And I took pictures for all of you to see how easy it was.

All you need is:
Wilton Disposable Decorating Bags
Rubber Bands
Curling Ribbon
Hot Chocolate Mix
Mini Marshmallows
Mini Chocolate Chips
  1. First take your empty decorating bag and empty two of the hot chocolate packets inside.
  2. Top with a handful of mini marshmallows.

  3. Cover the marshmallows with mini chocolate chips.

  4. Secure the top with a rubber band.

  5. Cut off excess bag leaving about 1 1/2 inches after the rubber band.

  6. Decorate with curling ribbon.

  7. Attach the instructions.

I made my own instructions tag with some cardstock and regular printer paper. After all, you've gotta let the people getting the hot chocolate know how to make it. To make it even easier, here are my instructions (there are 9 to a page). Feel free to use them to make your gifts!

... instructions coming soon!...

Since I am "Ms. Overacheiving Crafter," I also made chocolate spoons to go with the cones. These are even easier, and would make a good gift by themselves.

Here's what you need for the spoons:
Plastic spoons
Chocolate Chips
Plastic bags (the little kind used for chocolate lollipops)
Curling Ribbon
Sprinkles/crushed candy canes (optional)
  1. Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave. Place chips in a microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for 30 seconds. Stir. Microwave in 15 second increments stirring after each until chocolate is smooth, shiny and completely melted. (NOTE: On my first attempt melting chocolate in the microwave years ago, the chocolate got burnt. I didn't know to stir it. If it doesn't get stirred, it will always look like the chips you put in there. The stirring helps it melt, so don't skip this step!)

  2. Dip the plastic spoon into the melted chocolate making sure to cover the front and back of the bowl part of the spoon.

  3. Add crushed candy canes or sprinkles while the chocolate is still wet, if desired.
  4. Place on waxed paper (parchment or freezer paper works too) and into the fridge to harden.
  5. Once hardened, place in the treat bags and secure with a piece of ribbon.

The total cost for all 20 of the cones I made and gave as gifts was just under $20. It came out to about 95 cents for each. You can't beat that. And best of all everyone loved the cones and said what a great idea it was. Lots of my co-workers told me they took it home right away to try the hot chocolate. So I would say it was a HIT!

No comments:

Post a Comment