Sep 14, 2010

Lady Grey Sew-along: The Supplies

Look what came in the mail last week! My Lady Grey Coat pattern. Man I had been lusting over the Colette Patterns for a while now. I'm so glad Gertie had a discount code for us sew-along-ers. It was a it pricey, but man was it worth it. The pattern is so well made. No crazy fold out instructions or messy envelope. The pattern is in a little portfolio. The instructions printed out booklet style and the pattern was tucked into a pocket neatly in the back. I can't wait to start cutting out the pattern and actually getting started on my coat.

I figured I should get to the fabric shopping, since mid-September is almost upon us. So I got over to my local JoAnn's to see if they had anything worthwhile. First, I looked at the cotton twill. I read on the blog that something like that would be better for the hotter climates, but I just didn't like them. They were hard and a bit stiff. I wanted something with a little more drape. So I headed over to the suiting fabrics, turned out that they had a pretty good selection. There were all different kinds, even some wool gabardines which we beautiful (though kinda pricey for me). I finally settled on a "spring suiting" wool/poly blend. I picked a darkish tan. I really like the shade of it. Then it was onto the lining fabric.

The regular lining fabrics they had were boring. But then I started browsing through the "simply silky prints." They had some great patterns, and I definitely wanted something fun for the inside of the coat. I loved the idea of polka dots, like in the pics on the Colette site. So I got this great cream with brown polka dots. It's poly, but I figure the silky texture will make a good coat lining, since it'll be easy to slip on and off. Plus I love it, and isn't that all that really matters anyways?

I also bought some muslin and the interfacing. This will be my first time making a muslin, so we'll see how it goes. The only things I'm missing are the buttons. I couldn't find any buttons that I liked, but I figured I can just get some from grandma. I'm sure she'll have some that will work. So I'm ready to go. There's no turning back now! (or I'll end up with a whole lotta suiting fabric in my stash)

2 comments:

  1. I love your choice of lining fabric! I remember seeing a woman in a navy trench coat with orange polka dot lining, and ever since then, I've been obsessed with polka dot linings.

    Can't wait to see how it looks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Marianne. I have a slightly unhealthy polka dot obsession. Can't wait to have the polka dot surprise in my coat!

    ReplyDelete