Dec 24, 2010

Happy Hooker Color Bar Blanket

So a few years back, I got the Happy Hooker book by Debbie Stoller (the Stitch n' Bitch lady). I learned to crochet from the book, which, for me at least, was so much easier than knitting. There was just something so much easier about just having the crochet hook to deal with instead of the two long knitting needles.

Anyways, I made a few of the projects in the book, but really loved the Color Bar Blanket. Since I work in TV it was just a natural project for me. So I began to buy the Lion Brand Wool-Ease that was recommended in the book and began making some of the granny squares. Granny squares are super easy to make, and once you get the hang of making them it takes no time. But after making some squares, I ran into a problem. I couldn't find all of the colors in Lion Brand Wool-Ease. So I put the project aside. Every now and then I'd check the colors of Wool-Ease at my JoAnn's, but never found the ones I needed.

Then last month, Handmade Miami's Crafter-noon was all about making granny squares. This got me all amped up about finishing my blanket. So I went to JoAnn's and found a few color substitutions in Wool-Ease, and got the other colors I needed in Vanna's Choice Baby. I crocheted up my last granny squares. Then last night I finished the jlast squares, and I started sewing them all together. And voila! The Color Bar Blanket. Ain't it cute?

Now since this blanket was done over years, you can definitely see which ones were my first squares (red and yellow--they're a bit wonky) and which were my last ones (white, pink and light blue). But I love my blanket none the less. I'm definitely gonna make another one of these, cause I think it would be perfect to keep at my desk at work to keep me cozy since it's so cold in there. But after checking out the boards on Craftster.org, I think I'm gonna make it in Red Heart Super Saver. There's a huge variety of colors, and I think I can get them all at JoAnn's in one shot.

I'm so glad to have it done in time for Christmas. It looks like it's gonna get really cold here in Miami again soon, so I'll just curl up with my new handmade blanket.

No comments:

Post a Comment