May 6, 2012

Happy Forking Birthday cake

I made a cake for a couple of my co-workers birthdays, which we are celebrating on Monday. One of our systems at work is called "Fork," so I decided to make them a Fork birthday cake (it's an inside joke).

I started out baking the cake. Just plain yellow cake, everyone likes that!

As the cake was baking, I whipped up a batch of frosting.

I dyed the frosting blue (since the cake is for guys, I thought pink or lilac would be too girly) and frosted the cake.

I drew out a fork and drew it on the cake with grey frosting. I didn't have black coloring to make the grey, so I mixed yellow, red and blue in equal parts to get the grey. I think it looks pretty good, considering I drew it myself.

Next came the nerve wracking part, the lettering. Considering this was my first time lettering on a cake, I think it came out ok. The letters are all different sizes, and don't exactly go in a straight line, but at least it's legible.

After the lettering, making the border was a piece of cake (no pun intended!).

My first not-in-class cake! I think it came out pretty good. I wonder whose birthday is next, so I can start the design ideas for that cake.

What do you think of my cake?

No comments:

Post a Comment