Jul 2, 2012

Tune in to... The Newsroom

I don't know if I've ever mentioned this on the blog, but I'm an unapologetic television junkie. I love TV. I love getting wrapped up in these stories and coming back every week to see what happens next. So I've decided to start featuring some shows that I'm watching and loving in this new feature, Tune in to....

(Now, I have a disclaimer, I don't really do reality TV. If you want to read about the Kardashians or The Bachelor, you've come to the wrong place. But if you want to check out some good (at least in my opinion) shows, you've found it.)

For my first feature, I'm reviewing a new show.

Here's a little about The Newsroom. It's set in a fictional cable news network, and we are behind the scenes of it's ratings-hit show. But it's a hit because its popular anchor, Will McAvoy (Jeff Daniels) has no backbone, and doesn't ruffle any feathers. This also means that his work is mediocre. After a meltdown at a college he comes back to realize he has no crew and his new executive producer is his ex-girlfriend. This "new" version of the show wants to do journalism right and wants to be the real fourth estate that it's supposed to be.

picture from Vanity Fair

The writing (by Sorkin) is great. These people have brains and you can tell by they way they talk. The cast is spot on. Jeff Daniels as the anchor is totally believable as is Emily Mortimer as the executive producer. Sam Waterston as the head of the news division is the perfect comedic relief that is needed in this tense newsroom atmosphere. And the supporting cast of Dev Patel, Alison Pill and John Gallagher, Jr. (yes, the original Mortiz from Spring Awakening) are great as the younger part of the staff learning from the veterans.

After watching the first two episodes, I'm totally hooked. The Newsroom combines the intelligent, fast-fire Sorkin-isms that I love against the world of television journalism (which is one of my passions--I wanted to be a TV journalist for years). Add in the characters and their relationships and you're done. Plus, since the story is set in the not so distant past (April 2010), you know what news stories are coming up and you can't wait to see how the crew at the fictional "News Night" will tackle them. This show shows what journalism could and should do, with characters you really want to root for, and I love it. Each episode leaves me wanting more and more.

If you're looking for a great new show to get hooked on, that will actually make you think, check out The Newsroom. It's on HBO Sundays at 10pm EDT.

No comments:

Post a Comment