Jun 5, 2013

National Running Day

Happy National Running Day!

I never thought I'd be writing a post like this, let alone about running, but I can actually call myself a runner now.  Since February I've been running pretty consistently (this is running for fitness, not running away from zombies or running to get some free ice cream).

For months and months and I kept telling my friend, Melissa (who is my go-to running resource--she's been running for a few years now), that I felt terrible when I ran. I did it, but I felt like I was dying (I know, I'm a tad bit dramatic). She told me there would come a point when I didn't feel like that, but I thought it would never come. Even though I still didn't think I had the hang of the running thing, I still signed up for some races. After doing the Color Me Rad 5k in April, I loved doing the race itself, but still not the running.

Then, I ran last night. It was my normal run day, but I decided to see how long I could run consistently. Lately, I was doing sprint intervals at the gym and on my longer runs on the weekends, I would run for one minute, then walk for one minute. I didn't think I could do any more than that, but last night I gave it a try. And I ran for 10 minutes straight! I couldn't believe it. I think I'm still a little in shock about it. But I kept a reasonable pace and ran the whole time, no stopping, no walking.

That run last night gave me the confidence I needed. I can now call myself a runner without it being followed by, "but I just run and walk." I can run. Now the distance of that half marathon is still freaking me out a bit, but I know I will get there. So even if you think you can't and even if it's only for a minute at a time get out there and run, I know if I can do it anyone can.

Let me know, do you run?

No comments:

Post a Comment