Another birthday celebration means another batch of cupcakes. This time it was for my friend Karina. I knew I wanted something fruity, fresh and summery for her. Every time I make cupcakes she claims that whatever I make is her new fave. Karina had been been raving about the lemon cupcakes I brought in not too long ago, but had to give them a new twist for her birthday. Nothing is more summer than lemonade and strawberries, so I combined the two to make strawberry lemonade cupcakes.
This is another doctored up cake mix creation. I took some lemon cake mix and added fresh lemon zest to the batter. Before baking, I dropped some strawberry preserves in the center of each cupcakes. Once you take a bite you'll get a little bite of strawberry. I dropped in the preserves after filling the cupcake liners and the cake baked right over the preserves. Plus it's way easier the pouring in batter, then preserves, then batter.
For the frosting I made a basic cream cheese frosting. Just cream cheese, butter, vanilla and powdered sugar.
Then I added some lemon zest.
After the frosting was ready to go, I folded in about a half a cup of preserves.
I love the swirl of berries in the frosting. (You can see the full recipe below).
I decorated the cupcakes with fresh strawberries and paper straws to play up the "lemonade" part. And I even used my teacup cupcake molds for the first time. They are so cute.
Strawberry Swirl Cream Cheese frosting
2 sticks of butter (room temperature)
1 8oz. package of cream cheese (room temperature)
1 pound of powdered sugar
1 tsp. lemon zest
1 tsp. vanilla
Pinch of salt
1-4 tbls. heavy cream
1/2 cup of strawberry preserves
1. Cream the butter and cream cheese. (You can use a stand mixer or a handheld one.)
2. Add the powdered sugar and mix slowly at first, so you don't get powdered sugar everywhere. Then increase the speed and mix until it is all mixed in well and looks fluffy.
3. With the mixer still going add the vanilla and salt.
4. Keep mixing and add the cream a tablespoon at a time until the frosting is your desired consistency.
5. Add the strawberry preserves and fold in by hand.
Yield: Should frost 20-24 cupcakes.
The birthday girl loved her cupcakes. She hasn't stopped raving about them.