Dec 12, 2013

Handmade holidays: Etched glass candle holder

I thought I'd give you some ideas in the next few weeks to make some great handmade gifts. Handmade gifts can really get you into the holiday spirit, but don't have to take long to make. This  project is inexpensive and quick, but looks like it costs way more.

All you need is a glass candle holder (I got mine at the dollar tree), a paintbrush, tape or stickers (to make your design and Armour Etch (<-- affliate link). This is an etching cream that will "etch" your glass in just a few minutes.


I got my glass candleholder at the Dollar Tree. You can find the best things there for only $1!


The first step is to tape up your design.  You have to remember that the etching will happen anywhere that is not covered by tape. Make sure the edges of your tape are really pushed down, so the etching liquid doesn't seep underneath (Note: I didn't do a good job of this!).
 
 
Then paint on the Armour Etch. I apply it really heavy to make sure that the etchin really takes hold of the glass. Then just leave on the etching medium for about 5 minutes.


After that, take it to your sink and rinse off the Armour Etch.


Peel of your tape and/or stickers, and voila... etched glass!


It really makes a plain candle holder have a little more design to it. This is a great easy project that you can whip up in no time once you have the supplies on hand.


This is just the first of my handmade holiday posts, check back next week to get another great handmade holiday idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment