Dec 4, 2011

Five Faves: My favorite Christmas movies

I've decided to share some of my favorites, my five faves. Here's the first list, my five fave Christmas movies.

There are so many Chrismas movies on now, that I had to share some of my favorites. These are the movies that it just wouldn't be Christmas without for me. So here in no particular order are my five faves.

How the Grinch Stole Christmas (1966)
It isn't really the holidays to me until I see the Grinch on TV. I just love everything about this holiday special. The Grinch is awesome, I love the Whos in Whoville, but my favorite has to be the Grinch's dog. Poor little guy had to pull that heavy sleigh! But the Grinch's heart growing at the end is sure to warm anyone's heart. Christmas isn't about the presents or the tree it's about sharing and being with family.


Scrooged (1988)
No Christmas movie list would be complete without a Christmas Carol interpretation, and this one with Bill Murray is my favorite. Scrooged is Bill Murray at the top of his game (post-Ghostbusters, yet waaay before his comeback). He is hilariously cruel as Frank Cross, the TV exec who is Scrooge to the core. The supporting cast is awesome too. The ghosts of Christmas past and present are great and Bobcat Goldthwait as a disgrunteled ex-employee is just hilarious. By the end he learns the true meaning of Christmas, but there are plenty of laughs on your way there.


Home Alone (1990)
Kevin McCallister is left home alone when his family flies to France for the holidays and he's left home alone. Since he's all alone, he watched movies he's not allowed to (old-school black and white gangster flicks) and orders pizza. He runs around and has fun. He has to defend his house when he realizes two burglars are preparing to rob it. Kevin misses his family though, especially at Christmas. When Kevin rigs the house to defend against the robbers it's awesome. Any kid dreams of setting up traps like that. p.s. If you can watch this with my mom, please do. It makes her laugh hysterically!



The Holiday (2006)
I didn't discover this movie until I caught it on cable by chance, but it has quickly become one of my favorites. Kate Winslet and Cameron Diaz (she's my only issue with the movie) trade houses for the holidays to try to escape from their breakups and lives for a while. The life switch is great for both of them Kate's character ends up in Los Angeles and meets Jack Black. Shockingly Jack Black is adorable and charming in this role. Cameron's character ends up in England with Jude Law. 'Nuff said. This movie is just so cute and enchanting and has the feel of those old movies. Definitely check this one out.


Love Actually (2003)
This was billed as the "ultimate romantic comedy" and it is, but it is also my ultimate Christmas movie. It's 9 different storylines (that all connect somehow) all about love at Christmas (though not necessarily because of Christmas. I love all of the stories (though not the Keira Knightly one too much). Bill Nighy is awesome as the aging rocker trying to make a Christmas comeback, and the guy wanting to go to America to get a girl is hilarious too. By the end you're sure to get teary and feel all warm and fuzzy inside. There is a story in here for everyone, so if you haven't seen it, you should.

Now there are a few honorable mentions that just missed the five faves list:
Die Hard (1988)
Hanz Gruber taking over the office building while your wife's Christmas party is going on? John McClane to the rescue. And Bruce Willis has to walk on glass, barefoot. Awesome action movie, and Christmas-y to boot. Yippe ki-yay mother f*cker!

White Christmas (1954)
Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye and a young svelte Rosemary Clooney are putting on an act to help save a failing Vermont inn. Of course love happens in the process too. This isn't where the song originated (that was the movie, Holiday Inn--also a great movie), but you'll hear it here too.

Those are my favorites for Christmastime. What are your favorite Christmas movies?

No comments:

Post a Comment