(Just click on any pic to see it larger.)
First let's take a look at the trends on the carpet. There weren't really any standout new colors, but there were a few new trends that I could see here.
Nicole Kidman in L'Wren Scott with Keith UrbanNicole is totally rocking on of the hottest looks on the carpet, the all over sequin look. Why bother with jewels, when your dress can do all the bling for you.
Stacy Keibler in Naeem Khan with George ClooneyWho'd have thought it would be Clooney as the afterthought in the pic? But Stacy totally rocked the fully sequined look and made it modern and classic at the same time.
Jennifer Hudson in Roberto CavalliJennifer is rocking two trends in this dress, the all over sequin look and sleeves. This dress does cover a lot, but fits her well and shows of her figure.
Adele in Jenny PackhamAdele also totally rocked the sequins and sleeves look in her signature black, of course.
Jacki WeaverJacki Weaver gave her gown something different by choosing one with lace sleeves. I think this dress would have been better on someone a bit taller though, it cuts her in half.
Jane FondaWhen I'm 75 (yes, I just double-checked, she is 75!), I want to look like Jane Fonda. She is totally rocking the sleeves on the carpet, and she was one of the only ones to stand out in a bright color. You go Jane!
Amanda Seyfried in Alexander McQueenAmanda is rocking one of the other trends I noticed on the carpet, the halter. This Alexander McQueen dress suits her and the her hair being up totally lets us really see the great halter look.
Anne Hathaway in PradaAnne got the memo that cleavage is so last year, and rocked the halter look on the carpet too. This simple Prada and the backwards necklace were totally perfect for her.
Of course, some of Hollywood's favorite couples were on the carpet too.
Channing Tatum & wife, Jenna DewanThey both looked great and couldn't be happier to be expecting their first little one soon.
Helena Bonham Carter and Tim BurtonWhat would a red carpet be without this couple? They always keep true to exactly who they are, and you gotta love them for that.
Jamie Foxx and daughter, Corinne BishopJamie brought his daughter as his date. She's a stunning young lady, Jamie was in great company.
Steven Spielberg and Kate CapshawThe Hollywood royalty came out. Kate's dress and choker seem a bit dated, but at least the black color kind of made up for it. And Steven looks way better than at the Globes.
Jennifer Garner in Gucci and Ben AffleckThis was Ben's night. He looked great, and Jennifer was stunning in her Gucci gown (which was even more amazing in the back). I just love these two.
Now my rankings, the best dressed men:
5. Jeremy RennerJeremy Renner is looking dapper as ever, but what is that look on his face in this pic?
4. Bradley Cooper with mom, GloriaBradley sure knows how to clean up good. And I love the 3 piece tuxedo.
3. Hugh Jackman with wife, Deborra-Lee FurnessHugh Jackman should just live in a tuxedo. This is the right way to wear a double breasted jacket.
2. Chris PineThe new Capt. Kirk is looking so yummy in his tux. The double breasted jacket looks great on him and the slicked back hair and scruffy beard give him just the right touch of modern.
1. Joseph Gordon-LevittThis is the new Hollywood, and JGL does it so right. I can't wait to see what he does next and see him on many red carpets in years to come.
And, the best dressed women:
Honorable Mention: Jennifer Lawrence in Dior Haute CoutureJennifer looked amazing and elegant in this "wow" of a gown and backwards necklace. But she totally kept her totally wacky self on the carpet and on the stage.
5. Salma HayekI did not expect to have Salma on this list at all. She is totally a girl crush of mine, but I think she's been totally boring and predictable on the carpet lately. Thankfully, she totally switched it up on us for Oscar night. This dress, with the metallic lace halter still shows off her famous curves, but in a totally new way.
4. Kerry Washington in Miu MiuSo, I have a slight obsession with Kerry Washington lately, and I blame it all on Olivia Pope (if you don't get my reference, please do yourself a favor and watch Scandal). But this Miu Miu was so fresh and stunning on her. The beaded bodice was really all the bling she needed.
3. Olivia MunnWho would have thought years ago that Olivia Munn would make it from G4 to the Oscars? But she is making her Oscar carpet debut in all the right ways. The dress is stunning and her hair, makeup and jewelry compliment it perfectly.
2. Jessica Chastain in Armani PriveJessica looks amazing in this nude-toned Armani Prive gown. The whole look, from the gown to the jewels (vintage Harry Winston) to the red lips, totally exudes Hollywood glamour. And I just found out she's a natural redhead... total bonus points (like she even needed them!).
1. Naomi Watts in Armani PriveThis dress had the all over sequin look, but took it to a great new place with the cut out shoulder. Naomi is stunning and this will definitely be one of the most memorable dresses of the evening.
Luckily, the guys did pretty well on the carpet this year, but we still had a few that didn't quite make the grade.
3. Tommy Lee Jones and wife, DawnI'm sorry Tommy, but this is the way not to wear a double breasted jacket. He looks like he's suffocating in it.
1. Quentin TarantinoI get that Quentin came from the whole indie scene, but that was many moons ago. He's a part of Hollywood now. Maybe his undone tie was in protest for his lack of nomination for directing of Django Unchained. But seriously, just do up your tie, it's the Oscars.
And now, the ladies that didn't get it right, the worst dressed women:
5. Halle Berry in VersaceHalle says she had this made just for her to have the Bond girl feel, but I just think it makes her look old.
4. Helen Hunt in H&MI'm all for showing up in a regular off the rack type designer. I mean Michelle Obama does it all the time, flawlessly. But showing up in a dress that literally looks like you pulled it off of the sales rack and put it on moments before arriving while not even bothering to iron it? That's just a huge no-no.
3. Sally FieldI expected more from Sally, but this top of this gown is beyond matronly and just does her absolutely no favors.
2. Melissa McCarthyShe is one of the best actresses out there right now, but this dress just makes her look terrible. She needs a new stylist STAT!
1. Kristen Stewart in Reem AcraWho even allowed her to come to the Oscars? She ruined her dress by not even bothering with her makeup and showing up with greasy unbrushed hair.
And, that's it for another awards season. What did you think? I'd love to hear you chime in, who were your favorites? Did I forget anyone you just loved or loved to hate?
pictures from People